- You can download Netflix movies and TV shows to your phone or tablet by tapping the arrow icon on its details page.
- Once you’ve downloaded the Netflix movies, you can find them on the app’s Download page.
- Netflix downloads can be watched at any time, even if you don’t have internet.
- This story is a part of Insider’s Guide to Netflix Tips and Tricks.
remains the most popular video streaming service around. But as convenient as streaming over the Internet is, sometimes you need to watch videos without the internet – if you plan to fly in a plane, visit a remote location, or otherwise stay away from Wi-Fi, you can you want something saved on your phone or tablet for offline playback.
Netflix makes it easy to download videos to a mobile device just for these types of situations. Here’s how to do it.
How to download movies and shows from Netflix
1. Open the Netflix app and find the movie or TV show you want to download, and then tap it to open its details page. If you download a show, you will also find the episode you want.
2. Tap the download button, which is shaped like a pointed arrow in direction. The button will change to indicate that it will download, and after a while (depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the length of the video) it will end. You may know that it has been downloaded because you will see an icon representing your mobile device instead of the Download button.
Movies only have a single download button, while a TV series will generally have a separate download button for each episode. Also note that not all videos on Netflix can be downloaded – due to licensing issues, you may find that there isn’t a download button available for a movie you want to save.
How to watch a movie you downloaded on the Netflix app
Once you’ve downloaded a movie to your iPhone, iPad, or Android device, you don’t need to do anything special to watch it. Just go back to the movie or TV show you want to watch and tap it to play as usual.
If you’re not connected to the Internet and can’t download the show or movie page, just tap Downloads at the bottom of the screen to immediately see a list of all downloaded movies and TV shows stored on your device.
Also, you can tap “Download” at the bottom of the screen to immediately see a list of all downloaded movies and TV shows saved on your mobile device.
How to delete a movie downloaded from Netflix to free space
After downloading some movies to your mobile device, you may eventually want to remove them to save space. There are two ways to do this:
- To delete the downloaded videos one at a time, go to the movie or series details page and tap the mobile device icon that tells you that the video has been downloaded. In the popup menu that appears, tap Delete Download.
- To delete all your downloaded videos at once, go to the Download page and tap the pencil icon at the top right. On an iPhone or iPad, tap the red X icon next to any title you want to delete; on an Android, select the title you want to delete and then tap the Trashcan icon in the top-right.
All Netflix downloads will expire even after a certain amount of time – the exact time will differ depending on the title.