Xiaomi’s allegations of enforcement are baseless, says Enforcement Authority
The law enforcement agency on Saturday dismissed as “unsubstantiated” allegations that statements from officials of Xiaomi India, a subsidiary of Chinese mobile phone company Xiaomi, were recorded “under duress”, saying the allegations were belated.
The federal agency has responded to some news reports that said Xiaomi alleged in a recent filing with the Karnataka High Court that its top leaders were threatened with “physical abuse and coercion” during their interrogation by ED investigators in Bangalore.
The Office of Enforcement (ED) released a statement saying it is “a professional agency with a strong work ethic and there has been no coercion or threat against company employees at any given time.”
“Allegations that the announcement by Xiaomi India officials was made under duress by ED are untrue and baseless.” “The officials of Xiaomi India have voluntarily deposited their applications before the ED at FEMA under the most favorable conditions on various occasions,” the agency said in a statement.
It says that the statements were withdrawn by them based on documents and information provided by the company during the investigation.
“Their statements are supported by written responses submitted to the ED and available materials,” the agency said in a statement.
The development comes amid the ED issued a seizure order for more than Rs. Rs. from Xiaomi India on April 29. 5,551 crores for alleged violation of the Indian Foreign Exchange Act (Foreign Exchange Management Act).
Earlier this week, the High Court of Karnataka suspended the ruling.
The agency added that the statement of Xiaomi Global Vice President Manu Kumar Jain was recorded four times: on April 13, April 14, April 21 and April 26, while the statement of Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Sameer B.S. Rao – six times.
Rao’s statements were recorded on March 25, April 14, April 19, April 21, April 22 and April 26, the report said.
“However, during the recording of statements on various occasions, they did not file a single complaint.” “The last statement of the company officials was recorded on 04/26/2022, and the arrest order was issued on 04/29/2022. It seems that the announcement, made now after a considerable amount of time, is overdue,” the statement said.
The agency said that Xiaomi’s allegations are “baseless and far from the facts.” Xiaomi is a trader and distributor of mobile phones in the country under the brand name MI.