Apple intends to challenge Brazil’s decision to ban the sale of iPhone models without chargers
Apple has reportedly said it will challenge a Brazilian court ruling that bans iPhone models without a charger from being sold in the country. Brazil’s Ministry of Justice and Public Security previously fined Apple BRL 12.275 million (roughly Rs. 18 crore) over claims that the company was providing consumers with an incomplete product. The order prohibits the sale of all iPhone 12 and 13 models in the country. The Cupertino giant stopped packing chargers with its mobile phones in 2020 with the release of the iPhone 12, citing environmental concerns.
According to report Apple is appealing Brazil’s move to ban the sale of iPhones without chargers, Reuters reported. The company said it will continue to work with Brazilian consumer protection agency Senacon to “resolve their issues.”
The report cites Apple’s statement: “We have already won several court decisions in Brazil on this matter, and we are confident that our customers are aware of the various options for charging and connecting their devices.”
Brazilian government earlier on Tuesday suspended sales of iPhone 12 and newer models that do not come with an included charger. The company fined Apple BRL 12.275 million and accused the company of “deliberately discriminating against consumers.”
Apple stopped bundling chargers with the release of the iPhone 12 in 2020, citing it as a carbon reduction measure. Authorities have dismissed Apple’s argument, saying there is no evidence that selling smartphones without a charger is protecting the environment.
Brazil’s ban comes ahead of today’s Apple Far Out event, which is expected to announce the new iPhone 14 series with iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Max, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max models.