September 7, 2022
Apple announces the next generation of AirPods Pro
It offers unrivaled audio quality, enhanced active noise cancellation, and new features for even more convenience
CUPERTINO, CALIFORNIA Apple today announced the second generation of AirPods Pro, the most advanced AirPods ever. With the power of the new H2 chip, AirPods Pro unlocks advanced audio performance – including major upgrades to Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency Mode – while also offering a unique way to experience Spatial Audio that’s even more immersive. Now, customers can enjoy Touch control for media playback and volume adjustments directly from the trunk, along with longer battery life, a brand new charging case, and an additional size of tip the ear for better measure.
AirPods Pro (2nd generation) will be available to order online and in the Apple Store app starting Friday, September 9, with availability in stores starting Friday, September 23.
“AirPods has revolutionized the wireless headphone category with an innovative design and incredible sound quality. With the new AirPods Pro, Apple is raising the bar once again,” said Bob Borchers, vice president of worldwide marketing for the Apple product. “The new AirPods Pro offer even better sound quality, a more immersive listening experience with Personalized Spatial Audio, and transformative audio features like Adaptive Transparency. With up to double the noise-cancelling power of its predecessor, the world’s best-selling wireless headphones are even better.
How to use the Lensa AI selfie app1 day ago
Built in a light and compact body, the power of the new H2 chip provides an exceptional acoustic experience and cancels up to twice the noise compared to the previous generation AirPods Pro. With a new low-distortion audio driver and custom amplifier, AirPods Pro now delivers richer bass and crystal-clear sound across a wider range of frequencies. Since the best audio experience is not complete without a great in-ear fit, a new extra small ear tip is included so that even more people can experience the magic of AirPods Pro.
Transparency mode allows listeners to stay connected and aware of the world around them. Now, Adaptive Transparency takes this customer-loved feature even further. The powerful H2 chip enables in-device processing, which reduces loud ambient noise – such as a passing vehicle siren, construction tools, or even speakers at a concert – for more comfortable everyday listening.
Accurate and immersive sound
With Personalized Spatial Audio, the AirPods listening experience is even more immersive. Users perceive sound individually, based on the size and shape of their head and ears. Using the TrueDepth camera on iPhone, users can create a personal profile for Spatial Audio that provides a precisely tuned listening experience just for them. Users can enjoy personalized spatial audio with music, movies and TV shows – with dynamic head tracking – on iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple TV.1
The magical experience users have come to love from the AirPods family gets even better with the next generation of AirPods Pro. Instant pairing to all Apple devices makes setup effortless, while the new dedicated AirPods section in iOS settings allows users to easily access and control their AirPods features.
Now, users can control media playback and increase the volume without using another device. With the Touch control in AirPods Pro, a slight swipe up or down on the stem allows a quick adjustment of the volume. Press the stem to change music, answer phone calls, and more, or say “Hey Siri” to make hands-free requests. The improved built-in skin detection sensor turns playback on or off more accurately and offers better battery life.
Extended battery life
AirPods Pro offer 1.5 hours of additional listening time over the first generation, for a total of up to six hours with active noise cancellation.2 Using the case for four additional charges, users can enjoy up to 30 hours of total listening time with active noise cancellation – six hours more than the previous generation.3
For more flexibility when traveling, customers can now charge AirPods Pro with an Apple Watch charger, in addition to a MagSafe charger, a Qi-certified charging pad, or a Lightning cable.
Brand new charging case
AirPods Pro comes with a newly designed charging case that is sweat and water resistant,4 and includes a lanyard hole5 so it’s always within reach. With Precision Finding, users with a U1-enabled iPhone can locate their charging case with guided directions. The charging case also has a built-in speaker to deliver louder tones, so it’s even easier to locate.
Customers can now customize the charging case with their individual Memoji, including custom Memoji, Animoji, and a curated list of stickers. To start recording, create and upload a Memoji in the Apple Store app.
AirPods and the environment
AirPods Pro are designed with numerous materials and features to minimize their impact on the environment, including the use of 100 percent recycled rare earth elements in all magnets and – for the first time – 100 percent gold recycled in the plating of multiple printed circuits. The case also uses 100 percent recycled tin in the main logic board solder, and 100 percent recycled aluminum in the hinge. AirPods Pro are free of potentially harmful substances such as mercury, BFR, PVC and beryllium. The redesigned packaging eliminates outer plastic packaging, and 90 percent or more of the packaging is made with fiber-based materials, bringing Apple closer to its goal of completely removing plastic from all packaging by 2025 .
Today, Apple is carbon neutral for global corporate operations, and by 2030, it plans to be 100 percent carbon neutral throughout its manufacturing supply chain and across all product life cycles. This means that every Apple device sold, from component manufacturing, assembly, transportation, customer use, charging, through to recycling and material recovery, will have a net zero climate impact.
Pricing and Availability
- AirPods Pro (2nd generation) will be available to order $249 (US) from apple.com/store and in the Apple Store app in the US and more than 50 other countries and regions starting Friday, September 9, with availability in stores starting Friday, September 23 September
- AirPods (3rd generation) with Lightning Charging Case are now available for $169 (US). AirPods (3rd generation) with MagSafe Charging Case remain available $179 (US).
- Customers can now add Memoji engraving to AirPods (2nd generation), AirPods (3rd generation) and AirPods Pro (2nd generation) almost for free, exclusively in the Apple Store app. For more information on Memoji engraving, use the App Apple Store.
- New subscribers can get Apple Music for free for six months with the purchase of any AirPods, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max. To see apple.com/promo for details.
- For full functionality, use AirPods Pro (2nd generation) paired with an Apple device running the latest operating system software. Custom Spatial Audio and Find My profiles will be available with iPadOS 16 and macOS Ventura in October.
Apple revolutionized personal technology with the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984. Today, Apple leads the world in innovation with iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch and Apple TV. Apple’s five software platforms – iOS, iPadOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS – provide seamless experiences across all Apple devices and empower people with innovative services including the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay and iCloud. Apple’s more than 100,000 employees are dedicated to making the best products on earth, and to leaving the world better than we found it.
- Spatial Audio works with compatible content in supported applications. iPhone with TrueDepth camera is required to create a personal profile for Spatial Audio, which syncs across Apple devices running the latest operating system software, including iOS, iPadOS (in October), macOS (in October) and tvOS.
- 5.5 hours of listening time with spatial audio enabled.
- Battery life varies with usage. See apple.com/batteries for details.
- AirPods Pro and the charging case are resistant to sweat and water for exercise and exercise without water, and are rated IPX4. Sweat and water resistance are not permanent conditions.
- Cord sold separately.
Apple Media Helpline