Health

Mount Sinai Postpones Some Election Procedures Amid Rising Coronavirus Cases

Interim measures are being taken as hospitals on Mount Sinai fill up about the same number of COVID patients as the system did at the height of last winter’s spike in January, Lopachin said in a note. As of Wednesday morning, Mount Sinai had hospitalized 570 COVID patients across the system, including 42 in intensive care units.

But Mount Sinai’s current inpatients are “generally much less ill” than those in the hospital last winter, Lopachin said in a note.

A similar picture persists in the emergency departments on Mount Sinai, which, according to Lopachin, can treat and discharge many more patients than in previous operations, which means that they are not sick enough to be admitted to the hospital.

“This wave is bringing far fewer serious illnesses and deaths,” Lopachin wrote in the note, adding that reports from South Africa indicate that the wave of omicron variant cases in the city could peak in mid-January.

Mount Sinai appears to be the first health care system in the city to impose restrictions on elective or non-emergency procedures due to national spike in omicron cases

An executive order issued earlier this month authorized the New York State Department of Health to restrict nonessential, elective procedures in some hospitals with a low percentage of available beds, but there are no city hospitals in the list of 25 hospitals that are currently subject to such restrictions.

“The Department reserves the right to require any institution to restrict non-essential electoral procedures and / or take other actions to coordinate services as determined by the Department of Health as necessary to protect public health,” Health Department spokeswoman Erin Silk said in a statement.

This story first appeared in our sister publication Crain’s New York Business.


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button