Health

6-Year-Old ate a weed gum and was hospitalized

Loading...

  • Florida mother Morgan McCoy is asking parents and cannabis users to promote more explicit food packaging.
  • McCoy’s 6-year-old daughter ate a 50-milligram food that she thought was candy because it came in Hawaiian Punch-inspired packaging.
  • Her daughter could not open her eyes, she had convulsions and needed to be hospitalized.
  • Visit the Insider homepage for more stories.

Morgan McCoy advocates for more explicit edible cannabis packaging after his 6-year-old daughter accidentally ate a gum containing 50 milligrams of THC. Soon after, McCoy’s daughter couldn’t open her eyes, began to have convulsions, and didn’t respond, so she took her to the emergency room.

The Florida-based mother and medical marijuana user wrote a detailed Facebook post about the events that led to her daughter’s hospitalization, and said the environment inspired by Hawaiian gummy Punch has deceived her. her child thinking it was a regular candy.

“I was up all night with my husband watching those cars. His breaths per minute dropped to single digits at times, his heart rate skyrocketing to alarming levels at others,” McCoy wrote on Facebook on the the May incident.

Since then, McCoy has contacted local lawmakers, asking them to change the cannabis packaging to more clearly reflect its contents. But she says she is always redirected to other legislators, so she decided to ask for help from other cannabis advocates and relatives. She is also in the process of filing a classic action lawsuit against the company that created the product her child ate.

“We, parents, are outraged while these companies treat our children with what can be lethal doses of THC,” McCoy wrote. “THC is a MEDICATION and must be packaged as such. Period.”

This is not the first time a child has accidentally consumed cannabis

Reports of children consuming cannabis I know picking up how the substance gains recreational and medicinal legality in an increasing number of states, Insider reported earlier.

Loading...

Health experts have previously warned of cannabis users keep their edible stashes away from children who could mistake the drug for candy.

One study in Colorado, for example, found that about twice as many children visited an emergency room for accidental ingestion of THC in the years following the opening of recreational marijuana stores than before. According to the study, annual poison control cases have increased fivefold.

Children feel the effects of THC more intensely

While the effects of marijuana on children are similar to those found in adults, children under 12 can experience it. more intensely because of its small size, according to the Colorado Children’s Hospital.

Red eyes, paranoia, confusion and disturbed balance are all signs that your child may be consuming cannabis, Insider reported earlier.

Children are not legally allowed to use marijuana in any form, so there is no research on the long-term effects of consuming the substance at a young age.


Source link

Loading...

Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button