The shoot ‘em up genre is alive and well, with a mix of retro remasters / releases, long time sequels and Indie efforts that continue to grace the eShop Switch. Another on the go is fast Risk System, developed by Newt Industries and brought / published by Switch by Hidden Trap, which goes out on July 15 at a price of $ 9.99 / £ 8.99 / € 9.99.
It’s come out on platforms like PC and Xbox in the past, and it’s a title with a decent amount of traditions to learn from – advanced technologies, energy parasites, a quest to avoid the apocalypse. Of course, if you like it, you can just shoot it all.
The twist of conception in this, and the source of the name, is that when you approach enemies and their fire absorbs energy and increases your power. As you can see in the trailer above (and the blurb of the game below) this creates frantic and challenging gameplay.
- Increase your B-Meter and firepower by getting as close to the enemy fire as possible and absorbing its energy. The more you do it, the easier it will be to destroy the parasites.
- Perform special Risk Blows to attack and turn the energy into power for your shield. Sometimes, the best defense is a risky offense!
- Use reed rolls to quickly cover the vertical space and modify your attack.
- Unleash the Barrier Breaker once the B-Meter is full to cause huge damage to everything in sight!
- Set your destiny according to your mission performance and the results you achieve. Remember that everyone is counting on you to save thousands of lives.
- Focus on the final goal or play hard to get the highest point in each level. Use Risk Shooters to destroy multiple enemies at once, tighten combos and increase your multiplier score.
- Have fun with the game’s beautiful pixelated art style, which pays tribute to some of the famous side-scrolling ‘em-up side-scrolling games of the 80s and 90s.
We think this looks pretty decent; are you tempted to pick this up on Switch next week?