Sports Story “Secret Developer Room” is still available with a dialogue overhaul after the latest update
Update [Tue 31st Jan, 2023 10:45 GMT]: After Sports Story’s latest update, it seemed like the much-discussed “secret dev room” had been removed from the game. We covered this change in the original article below, but it appears that the room has not actually been removed, but simply changed.
Video proof of this was posted on Twitter. @tend0g. Looking at the video below, you can see that the room has remained pretty much the same, although the dialogue has changed to reflect the opposite state of development from what we originally saw.
We reached out to Sidebar Games for comment on this, to which we received the following response:
Unfortunately, we cannot comment on the origin of the secret dev room. Attempts are being made to remove it from the game, but this has proven difficult due to the way the game is programmed.
Since the room is currently still available, we believe there will be additional changes in future updates. We will be sure to let you know how and when these changes take place.
Original article [Sun 29th Jan, 2023 17:00 GMT]: Sports Story wasn’t in the best shape when it launched, but thankfully there have been a few updates since then. We now have version 1.0.4, and while it includes the usual fixes and improvements, it also has another interesting change.
Access to the “secret dev room” is now blocked. If you haven’t seen it yet, is the section of the game where you enter a hidden area and can talk to the “video game developers” about the development environment. Here are the full patch notes for Sports Story version 1.0.4:
Sports Story – Version 1.0.4 (January 29, 2023)
Blocked access to the secret developer room.
- If the boss squid disappears, it will return to the platform after the game is reloaded.
- The Bird Medal quest in Wildlands will now tick properly if the medals are collected over multiple rounds.
- Fixed some deals that required a certain amount of money to work.
- Various fixes for places/events where the player could get stuck.
- Club screens will display correctly beyond 5 clubs.
- Fixed an issue where the player could sometimes become blocked after throwing golf balls.
- The 30% coupon now works correctly.
- Fishing with a sticky hand will no longer cause problems.
- Fixed pivot bar when using PureStrike Green forest.
Sports Story received a surprise release last December, and while we didn’t mind it, after such a long wait, it wasn’t quite “up to par.” Here is a short snippet of our review:
“If you enjoyed the original, you’ll probably find Sports Story a fun enough sequel, but there’s no denying that after years of waiting, this feels like a letdown. Assuming the sidebar can sort out the worst of the technical issues, we’d give Sports Story an easy recommendation for anyone looking for a quirky sports RPG, but this one doesn’t deserve a place at the top of your list.”