Mojang just announced the first patch for the new Minecraft 1.18 update called “Caves & Cliffs Part II”, which aims to fix several bugs and issues here and there.
Technical changes in 1.18.1 Preview 1
- Fixed an issue that resulted in players with low bandwidth connections receiving timeout errors when connecting to the server.
- World Fog now starts farther away from the player to make distant terrain more visible.
- Instead of applying fog as a spherical volume, it is now applied as a cylindrical volume.
Bugs fixed in 1.18.1 Preview 1
- MC-219507 – The power of the beacon returns to the previous one when the world is reloaded.
- MC-242729 – Observer activates without any updates nearby, triggered by / clone
- MC-243216 – Fragment rendering distance on servers seems to be shorter than in 1.17.1.
The above bugs have been fixed in a preview, which is currently only available on PC, but intended to be released in real time. “at the end of the next week“- December 10.
Specifically for Bedrock Edition (which is used on consoles), here are the fixes that are currently active:
- Fixed a crash that could occur when copying a world backup in certain languages on the PlayStation.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when chatting and playing Realms.
- Reduced the amount of diamond ore produced to match the Java Edition.
- Fixed lighting errors when removing light sources after returning to the Upper World from other dimensions (MCPE-145828)
- Players no longer have problems with movement after respawning or getting out of bed.
- Added a warning prompt explaining potential data loss when installing external file storage on Android devices.
- Fixed various crashes and storage related issues with Android and Amazon Kids / Freetime multiplayer functionality (MCPE-106524, MCPE-107503, MCPE-37685)
- Fixed simulation stopping in multiplayer sessions when other players walk away from one player’s render distance (MCPE-147391)
- The teleport command will no longer succeed if ‘checkForBlocks’ is true and the destination is blocked.
- Fixed an issue that could result in an erroneous buy page for Realms when the maximum number of Realms already belonged.
- Optimized Marketplace inventory screen and improved loading of content images.
The Bedrock 1.18.1 release is currently only available on PlayStation, but it is planned for other platforms “in the coming days”.
If you encounter any bugs in the 1.18 update, be sure to put them in Minecraft Issue Tracker if you want to fix them!