Capcom Confirms 13GB Monster Hunter Rise Update Will Be Mandatory for Online Play
Update [6th May at 13:30BST]:
Capcom published updated customer information page (in Japanese), confirming information from the March event that you will need to download and install the 13GB update on June 30th in order to access Monster Hunter Rise online play. This will be mandatory for online services even if you don’t purchase the Sunbreak extension.
Original article [15th March at 14:50GMT]:
Capcom held a digital event for Monster Hunter Rise today: Dawn, “massive expansion”. It was full of great details and shots, and the key information was that it would be launched on 30 June on Switch, pre-orders from the online store should go live today. [Update: pre-orders are now live, priced at £35.99 / $39.99]
The broadcast itself was only 20 minutes long and is well worth watching. Below is a summary of some of the key details:
- Released June 30, pre-orders available today.
- Key features include a new story, base, locations, monsters, and “master rank”.
- The Citadel is a new environment with a variety of locations.
- We got a good look at Elgado Outpost, a major hub with brand new characters.
- The three “lords” are big goals. Garangolm, a mighty fanged beast with powerful attacks. Lunagaron, a fanged wyvern that can coat its body in ice. Finally, Elder Dragon Malzeno, the main monster of the expansion.
- There will be new bug moves and many additions to freshen up the gameplay.
Capcom has confirmed several things regarding content access. First, a 13 GB update will be required on June 30, whether you purchased Sunbreak or not (required for multiplayer). There will also be a bundle with the base game and an expansion pack for those new to Rise. And yes it will physical edition which includes the extension.
We remind you that you need to complete the quest 7* “Serpent: Goddess of Thunder” in order to activate the expansion; it was the “real ending” that came with a post-launch update. If you haven’t made it yet, there’s still time!
Finally, three amiibo figures have been announced above that will redeem special armor sets and can be scanned for daily “lottery” draws.
These were the key details; Are you excited about Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak this summer?