Assassin’s Creed Game Director Valhalla has confirmed that he has taken on the same role in EA’s Dead Space remake.
Eric Baptizat joined EA’s Motive Studio earlier this year to work on an as-yet-unannounced project. However, the Ubisoft veteran has now confirmed on social media that he is serving as the game director for the recently announced Dead Space remake.
Baptizat spent 16 years at Ubisoft, primarily as Director of Valhalla and Lead Designer for other Assassin’s Creed games, including Origins and Black Flag.
The most senior figure in the development of the Dead Space remake, besides Baptizat, is another Ubisoft veteran, creative director Roman Campos-Oriola.
Campos Oriola came from Ubisoft Montreal last year, where he was previously the creative director of the For Honor online scandal. Prior to that, he was the lead designer for Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (2012) and Red Steel 1 & 2 (2006, 2010).
Dead Space was announced during Electronic Arts’ EA Play Live presentation last month, finally confirming the highly anticipated remake project. Following the announcement, VGC analysis provided some information on who is working on the Dead Space remake.
The artistic director responsible for the visual direction of the Dead Space remake is Mike Yazigian. Yazijian actually worked on the artwork for Dead Space 2 as part of the now-closed Visceral division in Montreal.
Another developer who worked on the original Dead Space, former UX director Dino Ignacio, has confirmed he consults with EA Motive on the development of the game and claimed that the game will be a “complete remake” and not just a remaster.
Gary Stewart, a former BioWare level designer who has worked on every Mass Effect game since 2, is the lead level designer for the Dead Space remake.
The executives from the original Dead Space, who will almost certainly not be involved in the remake, are currently attached to Striking Distance Studios. Striking Distance is working on its own sci-fi horror game, The Callisto Protocol, which is led by Dead Space creator Glen Schofield and lead developer Steve Paputsis.
Dead Space Remake Development Team (so far)
- Roman Campos-Oriola, Creative Director (For Honor)
- Eric Baptizat, Game Director (Assassin’s Creed Valhalla)
- Mike Yazigian, Art Director (Arkham Origins, Dead Space 2)
- Philippe Ducharme, Senior Producer (Assassin’s Creed: Unity)
- Gary Stewart, Lead Level Designer (Mass Effect Series)
- Jessica Maher, UX Designer (Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla)
- Daphne Alari, Senior Technical Designer (Assassin’s Creed Valhalla)
- Shadi Mallack, Senior Technical Designer (Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag)
- Alexis Dumas, Senior 3D Environment Artist (Mass Effect Andromeda)
- Maximilian Fobert, Senior Visual Effects Artist (Shadow of the Tomb Raider)
- Alma Talbot, Development Manager (Star Wars Squadrons)
- Pierre-Vincent Belisle, Gameplay Technical Lead (Mass Effect Andromeda)
- Stephen Yu, Senior Gameplay Animator (Batman Arkham Knight, Sleeping Dogs)
- Joe Berry, writer (Mass Effect Andromeda)
- Xavier Perrault, Senior Environment Artist (Star Wars Battlefront II)
- Mathieu Tetro, Senior Lighting Designer (Star Wars Squadrons)
- Robin Bonhoor, Senior Technical Artist