Washington Nationals second baseman Starlin Castro (13) during the Major League Baseball game between the Philadelphia Phillies and Washington Nationals on June 22, 2021 at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphis, PA.
Rich Grassle | Sportswire Icon | Getty Images
Citizens of Washington said Friday they will release influential Starlin Castro after serving a 30-game unpaid suspension for violating Major League Baseball’s domestic violence policy.
The announcement by the Nationals came shortly after the suspension of Castro, 31, imposed by MLB.
“We take all allegations of abuse and harassment very seriously,” the Nationals said in a statement on Castro, a four-time All-Star. “We fully support the Commissioner’s decision and will release Starlin Castro once he completes his suspension.”
The Nationals had signed Castro to a two-year contract in January 2020.
CEO Mike Rizzo said last week that “I have no intention of getting him back” this season after Castro was put on administrative leave on July 16 by MLB when he investigated the allegations.
“After reviewing all the available evidence, I conclude that Mr. Castro has violated our Policy and that discipline is appropriate,” said MLB Commissioner Robert Manfred Jr.
Castro’s suspension, which begins Friday, also includes a fine that is not disclosed for violating the common domestic violence policy, sexual assault and abuse of MLB children.
MLB’s announcement did not give any details on the allegations.
The penalty also makes Castro ineligible to appear in the playoffs or the World Series this season.
Castro is also required to “participate in a confidential and comprehensive treatment and evaluation program controlled by the Common Political Council,” MLB said.
During his 12-year career at MLB, Castro played for the Chicago Cubs, Miami Marlins and New York Yankees.
Correction: An earlier version mistaken Rizzo’s title. He is the general manager of the Nationals.