Business

Trump to testify in court over protesters’ assault claims

Former US President Donald Trump leaves Trump Tower in Manhattan on May 18, 2021 in New York City.

James Devaney | GC Images | Getty Images

Former President Donald Trump is due to be ousted next week in New York following a lawsuit by protesters who claim they were “attacked with violence.” by his guards on the sidewalk near Trump Tower in September 2015.

Video footage of Trump’s testimony on Monday morning will take place in Trump Tower itself, which is located on Fifth Avenue in Midtown Manhattan.

There he will be questioned by the plaintiffs’ lawyers in a civil action. which is pending before the Bronx Supreme Court.

“This is a case of Donald Trump’s guards attacking peaceful protesters on the sidewalk,” said Benjamin Announcer, lawyer for the plaintiffs.

“We will be taking Donald Trump’s testimony under oath on Monday after years of slow attempts by the defendants to shield him from this interrogation. We look forward to presenting a videotape of Mr Trump’s testimony to the jury at his trial. … “

CNBC policy

Read more about CNBC’s policy:

Trump’s taped testimony will be presented to the jury as a result of an earlier court order that allowed the then president to avoid having to testify in person while serving in the White House.

A Trump spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In July, Bronx Supreme Court Justice Doris Gonzalez ordered Trump to sit to testify for a later date.

He and the plaintiffs later agreed that he would be deposed on September 24, but that was delayed after his lawyers returned and said Trump was no longer available that day, per Gonzalez’s order last week.

The deadline for testifying on Monday was agreed upon by Trump and the plaintiffs in accordance with this order. which was first reported on Thursday by ABC News.

In addition to Trump, the defendants in the lawsuit include his 2016 presidential campaign, the Trump Organization and Keith Schiller, who served as Trump’s bodyguard for many years.

The lawsuit seeks damages for the actions of Trump’s security personnel during the September 3, 2015 protest at Trump Tower, months after Trump announced his Republican presidential run.

The plaintiffs, who are Mexican-born human rights defenders, say they were attacked by Trump guards and the guards destroyed their signs during an event protesting what they saw as Trump’s racism against Mexican immigrants.

Trump’s then head of security, Schiller, is accused of punching one of the protesters, Efrain Galicia, in the head after Galicia tried to get the sign, which Schiller snatched from him.


Source link

Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button